Tom and I discuss HP, NCR & how NOT to react to whistleblowers, the new and improved DOJ web site, Comverse Technologies and a lenient sentence for Paul Cosgrove. Episode #53.
00:39: More than you wanted to know about Howard’s new site (the redesigned Open Air Blog)
01:51: Have a happy new year
02:55: Hewlett Packard (Howard recuses himself from the discussion, so this is all Tom)
06:09: You missed my birthday. Don’t worry, you don’t have to apologize
06:43: NCR shows considerable skill at treating a whistleblower complaint in exactly the wrong way. Tom & I talk about how to handle a whistleblower better. And here’s the link to Mike Volkov’s video.
18:12: DOJ improves their already-great Web site. And they work really, really hard
23:07: Tom is speaking in Singapore. If you’re anywhere close, you really need to go. Here’s the link to the conference. And in San Diego. The San Diego one is on diligence, and is with Mike Volkov
27:32: Comverse: we can’t guarantee that we won’t screw up…again. Ooookkkaaaayyyy, Comverse. Thanks for sharing. And how to actually have consistent messaging.
36:44: Paul Cosgrove, former global head of Sales at Control Components, Inc. (CCI), gets sentenced. Ending a very interesting case. And neither Howard nor Tom are Supreme Court scholars. Little help, anyone? And Howard is going to be in the same room with Lanny, in the near future, in London!
For some reason—I think I’ve sussed it out, so it shouldn’t recur next week—the “Howard Sklar” and “Tom Fox” titles at the bottom of the screen which normally appear when I say our names and where we write, don’t appear until some random moment 10 or so minutes into the show. This happened last week also, I think, but as I said, it shouldn’t happen again. Please excuse the random malfunction.
- 1:03: Neither Tom nor I attended the ACI 26th Annual National Institute on the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (but each of us wanted to) (lasts for 1 1/2 minutes)
- 2:50: DOJ to issue guidance that’s sure to please no one (lasts for 11 minutes)
- 15:17: AAG Lanny Breuer gives a speech at the ACI conference (lasts for 2 1/2 minutes)
- 18:50: Tom and I start an intense discussion around modern enforcement and modern compliance using AAG Breuer’s speech and the Chamber of Commerce’s efforts to amend the FCPA as a base. Very interesting, if I do say so myself. (lasts for 10 minutes)
- 28:55: Olympus: what the heck is going on over in Japan? (lasts for 10 minutes)
- 40:28: Astra Zeneca gets indicted in Serbia (lasts 3 minutes)
- 43:53: Formula 1, Ecclestone, Gribkowski (lasts almost 4 minutes)
- 47:45: PEPs and the Swiss (lasts 4 minutes)
[vimeo http://vimeo.com/32017986 w=768&h=640]
————————Breakout Session Below——————————–
Breakout on Tone at the Top
[vimeo http://vimeo.com/32021423 w=768&h=640]